Monday, May 21, 2012

Seeing Light | Sermon Notes



God is using the things I do/am interested in/like/experience to talk to me all the time. I just need to pay attention.

James 1:17 (NIV1984)
Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.


Photography can be a picture of how we relate to God.

Meaning of Photography.
  • Merriam-Webster's Definition of PHOTOGRAPHY:  the art or process of producing images by the action of radiant energy and especially light on a sensitive surface (as film or a CCD chip)
  • Greek roots: “drawing with light”
Aperture-the opening through which light travels
ISO-the measure of the film/medium's sensitivity to light
Shutter Speed-the length of time a camera's shutter is open

When I achieve proper exposure, my image is crisp, clear (not blurry), the colors are spot on, the it's not under- or over-exposed, and I don't have to spend a ton of time “fixing” it in post. When I allow myself to be properly “exposed” to Jesus, I have a level of focus, clarity, and sense of direction, even in the midst of junk, that I wouldn't have otherwise. And then I spend a whole lot less time “fixing” my life later!

Achieving proper exposure.
  • Like aperture, how open have I made myself to His light?
  • Like ISO, how sensitive am I to the effects of His light in my life?
  • Like shutter speed, how much of my day is spent open to what He wants to illuminate in my life?
How do I see the world differently than those who don't recognize of God's presence in their lives?
  • Because I am used to looking for the light, it actually hurts my eyes when the lighting conditions are poor.  
  • The more I focus on the things of God, and expose myself to godly influences (books, music, conversations, lifestyle), the less palatable the “other stuff” becomes...and the lighter/more joyful I feel. Which makes me more attracted to the “light” and repelled from the “dark”...and so on and so on...
1 Corinthians 13:12 (GNT)

What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror; then we shall see face-to-face. What I know now is only partial; then it will be complete—as complete as God's knowledge of me.

  • My eyes are trained and accustomed to see the light because I have developed that skill. So much so, that now it is second nature to me. It is the first thing I do when I enter a room, or drive around, or walk down a street. I'm always looking for the light. And for the way it effects the things it touches.
  • It didn't happen over night, I had to be intentional and work at this craft. My relationship with God is the same way.
  • My life is completely transformed when I spend it basking in the light of God's radiance...it changes the way I do things...because I see and experience life differently.
  • The sad thing is, a lot of people don't even notice bad lighting because they haven't honed and trained their sight. Which means that they also cannot appreciate good light to the same degree that a trained eye can, as well. 
So what are some things that I do to increase my sensitivity to the light?
  • Immerse myself in the Word. Become a lover of His Presence.
  • Cut out the junk that obscures the light (gossip, complaining, anger, impatience, empty time wasters)
  • Surround myself with godly people and God-honoring relationships
  • In my family: pray together, practice “exposure” with kids (practice is good for everyone!)
  • read books, listen to music & podcasts, read blogs, visit websites, attend conferences, attend church, small groups...
  • marinate in His presence
1 John 1:5, 7 (NIV1984)
This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all...But if we live in the light—just as he is in the light—then we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from every sin.

God speaks to us in languages that we can understand, so pay attention!




To listen to the podcast, CLICK HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us some love!