Thursday, August 30, 2012

Opportunity Knocks | Jen Chaput


"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men."
-Colossians 3:23


There aren’t many things I genuinely dislike doing. Any number of kitchen-related activities immediately come to mind, but after that the list tapers off pretty quickly. A few Sundays ago I was reminded of some things that used to top my list.

I was teaching Gideon’s Gang and we were talking about Paul’s life as told through some select chapters in Acts. It chronicled his travels and preaching, but what struck me the most was just his journey of life. It reminded me of something God put on my heart so many years ago. He reminded me that Paul’s mindset of ministry was that we are minute-by-missionaries. We shouldn't see our lives broken up into compartmentalized ministry outlets.  Instead, we can see each moment as a stream of events that make way for God's presence in our lives and the lives around us.

Back in the day [because 5 years ago was practically another lifetime], I was at the end of my college career and preparing for a wedding. I had to find some kind of job to fill the time before classes started in the spring and also wanted to boost our income. During my earlier years at Bethel, my sister-in-law Ann had asked me to work for her at a learning center (day care), but I was already employed by the school and frankly, I was uninterested in being with kids. My philosophy about children was pretty simple – they’re great, when they are some else’s. I was too busy focusing my heart on teens because as a youth ministry student, they were who I was called to minister!

Since I only foresaw employment at the learning center as a placeholder until I graduated, I agreed to work with Ann. I’d be lying if I said I immediately flourished in the alien environment. It took a lot of work for me to warm up to my new surroundings. But as I did, God was able to speak to me about my presence there. Sure, I was helping out a sister and aiding teachers as a sub, but I was also in a position of influence over the children in the class. I was a smiling face to a child that had no support at home. I was a pray-er over a child who was out of control. I was an opportunity for God to reach out and love a child that never felt cared for before. When my heart was changed from obligation to opportunity, I was changed. I wasn’t perfect, but I was aware that every time I interacted with a child, I could give away the love Jesus had given me.

I know that sharing Jesus can feel like a chore when you’re burned out, busy, and are ministering out of obedience or obligation. But you have the same opportunity today that I had 5 years ago. You may not feel like where you are in life speaks to your dreams and desires or even God-given talents, but you were made to give Jesus’ love away to all people. And if you’re like me, you have to learn that our kids are people, too! Just smaller.

Over the past few years, I’ve experienced a lot of changes that would not have been as easy had I not allowed God to tell me that I wasn’t just made for what I believe I was “called to.” I was made for living His love and sharing it with everyone I met, no matter what circumstance I was meeting them. If I had ignored God’s heart for being totally enveloped in His love, and open to sharing it the way He saw fit, I probably wouldn’t be part of this church, let alone the Kids Ministry!

Don’t let the goodness of living God’s love in every area of your life, expected or unexpected, pass you by. Now I know that our big and little brothers and sisters in Christ should get the best from us. And you should get the best of what God is offering you through your circumstances.

It is waiting for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us some love!