Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Music Recommendations | Kate Podjan

At the Podjan house, we are pretty much constantly playing music nonstop throughout the day.  In fact,  we start every school day (I homeschool the kids) with a worship song that the kids choose (some of their favorites: Jesus Culture's versions of "Rain Down" and "Dance"; and Will Reagan & United Pursuit's "Set a Fire", "Climb", "Yeshua" and "We Have Come/Bless the Lord").

Most mornings I wake up with a song in my spirit, so that's what I start the day listening to.  Today that song was "Draw Near" by Bethel Live.  And, of course, listening to that one song was not enough!  This album, like many that come out of the Bethel Redding/Jesus Culture juggernaut, has really grown on me over the past few months.  I find that a lot of these albums don't really grab me on the first listen, but by the second or third time through I am hooked.  These songs stay with me, and my heart resonates with their message.

So, on that note, here are the 3 latest albums that we've been playing on heavy rotation, both in the house and in the car.  All 3 took a little while to warm up to...but now I don't think they'll ever be retired from our playlists!

The first is Bethel Live's The Loft Sessions (released in January 2012).  Featuring worship leaders Brian & Jenn Johnson, Jeremy Riddle, Steffany Frizzell, Hunter Thompson & Matt Stinton, this album is an acoustic set of songs, some familiar, some new.  I love the rootsy feel of many of the songs on this album.  Favorite songs (as of right now...this list changes constantly):  "You Know Me," "Fall Afresh" and "Draw Near."  
If you're looking for a GREAT album to just marinate in the Presence of God, check out Will Reagan & United Pursuit's Live at the Banks House (November 2010).  Simple songs and easy-to-learn lyrics give way to swelling music and the intimate feel of being in a small group of worshippers laying it all down before the King.  The album is acoustic, and imperfect, and lovely.  I could listen to this thing for hours.  My heart really sings when I can put this album on, shut my eyes, and just get caught up in His Presence.  Favorite songs:  "We Have Come/Bless the Lord," "Yeshua," "Set a Fire" and "Climb." 
Lastly, you have to listen to Emerging Voices, Jesus Culture's latest release (July 2012).  Jesus Culture uses this album to debut 4 new worship leaders: Derek Johnson, Mary Kat Eherenzeller, Nate Ward & Justin Jarvis.  This album was recorded live in Redding, CA.  Simply put, I love it.  Great lyrics, beautiful instrumentation and songs that stay in my heart long after the iPod has stopped playing are all reasons why I will be listening to this album for a long time to come.  Favorite songs:  all of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us some love!